The European Student Think Tank is pleased to announce that they we are hosting an interactive round table debate with youth in the field of gender equality in the European Parliament. The event is organised as part of our ‘Empow(H)er’ campaign, a gender equality initiative that the EST has introduced to bring attention to the issue of women’s rights across the world and help empower women to become included in the decision-making process.
The EST is hosting this event in collaboration with S&D FEMM, the Women’s Rights committee of the Progressive Alliance of Socialists and Democrats in the European Parliament. Participants will be able to directly discuss with influential European policy-makers, journalists, MEPs and experts on the topic of gender equality, in an open and diverse. Young people are leading the movement for Gender Equality and have taken the streets of Poland to protest against the abortion ban, young people are LGBTQI activists in the middle East and it is young people whom we invite to debate in the European Parliament about our future and our rights.
There will be the opportunity to take part in two panels during the event. The first, chaired by Carlota Nunez Strutt, President of the European Student Think Tank, will be discussing the topic “Gender-based violence in politics: a female’s leader’s perspective”. The second, chaired by Cecilia Passaniti, European Student Think Tank Coordinator of Gender Equality”, will debate the issue of “Gender-based violence and refugee women: a look at violence and armed conflict”. Both panels will feature prominent female leaders from the fields of politics and academia, who will give their insights into these important issues and answer questions from the audience.
The debate will take place at the European Parliament in Brussels on Tuesday 15th November 2016 at 9am.
The EST and S&D FEMM look forward to welcoming participants to the European Parliament and hearing their views on gender equality.
Eradicating violence against women: a youth perspective
08:30: Registration – European Parliament Accreditation Center
European Parliament room A5G315
09.00 – 10.00
PANEL 1: Gender-based discrimination in politics: a female leader’s perspective
Chair: Carlota Nunez Strutt, President of the European Student Think Tank
- Zita Gurmai, President of the Party of European Socialists Women
- Iratxe García Pérez, Chair of the FEMM Committee in the European Parliament, S&D Member of the European Parliament
- Emmanuelle Le Texier, Policy Advisor in the FEMM Committee of the European Parliament
- Nina Kos, International Secretary of Youth Forum Social Democrats Slovenia, Bureau Member of Young European Socialists & Policy Expert in the Balkan
- Youth Question & Answer Time
10.00 – 11.00
PANEL 2: Gender based violence and refugee women: a look at violence & armed conflict
Chair: Cecilia Passaniti, European Student Think Tank Coordinator of Gender Equality
- Dr Malika Hamidi, Doctor of Sociology, Director of the European Muslim Network
- S&D MEP Liliana Rodrigues, Member of the European Parliament, FEMM Committee
- Maria Martin de Almagro, Professor in International Affairs at Versalius College
- Youth Question & Answer Time
12 pm: Participate in PES women activities
Rebecca Hogg: Dutch Ambassador to the European Student Think Tank firstname.lastname@example.org
Tanith Lee: Head of Press